This year of 2016 has been a full one for me. At the beginning of this series on updating the things I feel grateful for, I was living in the Dominican Republic where I often sat on my back porch, enjoying the local fresh produce, drinking coffee and enjoying the tropical climate.
On this final Friday in 2016 I am sitting in my living room looking out the sliding glass door at a very different view. I am still enjoying my coffee and, altho the view is not a tropical one, I do enjoy the winter weather in the Pacific Northwest where I am now living. As nice as it is to live in year round warm weather in the Caribbean, I do enjoy the four season changes of where I live currently. Maybe that is because I grew up here and it is what seems “normal” to me. And yes! It is cold out—current temperature in Spokane is 23 °F whereas in Sosua, Dominican Republic as I type this it is 82°F. I would say there is just a bit of a difference between the two places I called home this year when it comes to weather. Coffee is present in either location, as you can see!
I have shared many different things I am grateful for this last year and here are a few—
- coffee♥ because “coffee is mandatory”. Whether I drink it as “home-brewed” or I enjoy a cup at a coffee shop while out and about, I enjoy my coffee.
- internet connections that are high-speed and reliable. I can still remember the “good ole days” (not) of dial-up service and how slow it was.
- my mom and both of my grandmothers with the positive influences from them in many areas.
- the food we have in abundance and the variety of food that is available to us.
- the ability to adapt to lifestyle plans that change.
- marriage, both the partnership I am blessed with and other marriages I get to observe and learn from.
- friends and family and celebrations with them.
Thru-out this year, I have realized that I am grateful for the ability to adapt to any change, probably more than anything else. I am grateful for learning that life is full of change and that there are some things in life that we just do not have control over. The ability to have a positive attitude about life, tho, IS something we have control over. I hope I never forget that and that I continue on in the next year of 2017 with a positive attitude.
I hope you have time to reflect over the 2016 year with gratitude and that you are able to move into the new year of 2017 with a positive attitude and hope for the future.